This course is taught by instructors certified in the OpenSpace Agility™ framework. It’s a full-immersion experiential course for those who are seeking a rapid & lasting Agile adoption.
The OpenSpace Agility certification Workshop is our flagship course. It contains everything you need to get going now with OpenSpace Agility. This is a fast-paced, one-day experiential workshop. Everyone who participates in the OSA Workshop achieves the OpenSpace Agility Level 1 (OSA1) certificate of completion.
It is strongly recommended that students have experience arranging Open Space events, and/or have attended the Open Space certification Workshop from OpenSpace Agility before attending this course. You can learn more here.
Everyone who participates in the OSA certification Workshop achieves the following learning objectives:
- Competency in explaining the key advantages and benefits of the OSA approach to executives, teams and stakeholders.
- Familiarity with the wide range of questions asked about OSA, and preparedness to explain the economics and cost-saving features of OSA
- Readiness to speak confidently about OpenSpace Agility roles, rules, events and artifacts
- Readiness to invite and guide executives into important and specific learning experiences before introducing the full range of OSA concepts and facilities to them
- Readiness to plan, arrange and execute a complete cycle of OSA that begins and ends in Open Space
- Readiness to coach teams, executives and stakeholders through a complete OSA cycle and important learning experiences
- Confidence in how to plan, arrange, deliver and follow up on the enterprise-wide cycles of Open Space generated by OSA
- Familiarity with OSA’s measurement tools and KPI improvement toolkits
(NOTE: Before understanding OSA, understanding the Open Space meeting format is essential and Module 1 introduces Open Space fundamentals for this reason. This Workshop in OpenSpace Agility is best preceded by the Open Space Technology certification Workshop. The Open Space certification Workshop prepares you to plan, arrange and execute Open Space events in organizations. The Open Space meeting format is the core and foundation of Open Space Agility. You can learn more about the Open Space Technology certification Workshop here.)
We offer our OSA Workshops in two formats: as a traditional 1-day seminar, and as an online distance learning class.
OPENSPACE AGILITY WORKSHOP **ONLINE**
- This is an instructor-led, LIVE VIDEO course, online.
- Not pre-recorded! One instructor, 10 students over LIVE VIDEO
- The course is limited to 10 participants
- There is a lot of 1-to-1 connection, interaction and exercises
When you sign up for the online version of this course, you are making a commitment to the course and the other students participating. You are signing up for four (4) two-hour modules on successive days excluding Fridays and weekends. This Workshop when taught online usually runs Mon-Tue-Wed-Thu. Upon completing the class you are awarded the OSA1 certificate of completion. Thereafter you may elect to go on to implement OSA and apply to achieve the more authoritative OSA2 (certified practitioner) certification. Those who have achieved the OSA2 certification may then elect to pursue Certified OSA Instructor status. You can learn more about the certificate here: (link)
OSA Workshop Online Course Structure & Ground Rules:
To support the course’s aspects of content, community, and commitment, the following ground rules apply to the OSA Workshop ONLINE:
- 8 hours delivered in seven (4) 2-hour segments, using ZOOM video (like the Q&A) and limited to JUST TEN STUDENTS.
- 4 consecutive weekdays without Fridays or weekends. Each class usually runs MOnday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday, for 2 hours per day. 08 hours total.
- Modularized construction: if you miss, say “Day 2 of 4,” you can grab the video from that trainer. The limit on video make-ups is strictly 2 hours. After that you must attend the next “Day 2 of 4” that’s available in the next-available class to complete your course of study. (In other words, missing a lesson in this live-interactive program of study is strongly discouraged.) Your commitment to engage is an essential aspect of the OSA Workshop ONLINE.
- When you complete all the lessons, you have earned and are awarded the OpenSpace Agility Level 1 Certificate.
Click here to find a scheduled OSA-Workshop
Course Content: The Outline
NOTE: The outline below applies to both formats; that is: traditional/classroom venue, and online.
Module 1: OSA Overview. Open Space & The Power of Invitation
- Quick Overview of The Course: Open Space, Prime/OS, and OpenSpace Agility
- The assumption that employee **engagement** is essential
- The links between engagement, decision-making, and invitation
- Open Space Fundamentals: The 1+5, Roles, Self-Organization
- Arranging Open Space: Theme, Invitation, Executing
- Open Space Internals Explained: Authority and Authorization
Module 2: Planning before/after Open Space with OSA
- Review of the OSA stack: Open Space, Prime/OS, and OpenSpace Agility
- OSA Flow of Events: the TImeline
- OSA as the “transition model,” Open Space Internals: Preparing Executives
- OSA Concepts & Facilities: Overview, Preparing Executives, ROLES
- Invitation, Experimentation and Engagement
Module 3: OSA Execution Basics
- Experiments with Practices, The Agile Manifesto as the key constraint
- Direct Experience. Emergent Leadership, Formal and informal authorization
- Supporters, Tolerators, Resisters, Increasing engagement with invitations
- OSA as an anxiety-reducing structure for learning
- Case Study #1
Module 4: OSA Execution Internals & Advanced Topics
- Leadership Storytelling, The four key dimensions
- Organizational Learning, Change and Anxiety, Safe space, Reducing anxiety as key to org learning
- Liminality, Communitas, The Passage Rite, The “master of ceremonies”
- Whole-Group Exercise
- Case Study #2
Module 5: OSA Cycle Internals: The Second Open Space Event (OST-2)
- Liminality continued, Liminality and storytelling in OSA
- Differences and similarities with the initial Open Space event (OST-1)
- What to Expect, What to watch for
- Harvesting the data from OST-2
- Case Study #3
Module 6: Game Mechanics: Goals, Rules, Progress. Opt-in Participation and Invitation
- What to watch for at the end of OST-2
- Interactions, Meetings, and Membership in Organizations as Games
- Invitation, Opt-in Participation, and Engagement
- Passage Rites as Cultural Games, The Culture Game
- Applying IT/engineering skills (and IT design-thinking) to the culture-design problem
- Case Study #4
Module 7: The Advanced OSA Topics
- Culture as game design, Games of games, Infinite games, Psychological safety & games
- OSA as a structured game that facilitates change, Open Space as authority game
- Passage Rite concepts continued, Ceremonies and Rituals as Games
- Common knowledge defined, How common knowledge helps solve coordination problems (rational ritual)
- OSA Execution Tools: Educating Executives, Theme Development meeting, Invitation scripts
- Case Study 5
Module 8: The Standard OSA Problems and The OSA Tools for Addressing Them
- Measurement Tools: Using Key Performance Indicators (KPIs), The before/after assessment tools and instruments, Measurement as a diagnostic, Measurement as before/after assessment
- Sponsor-Coaching Tools: disengagement, Foot-dragging by leadership on Proceedings, What to do
- Leadership storytelling tools, Storytelling scripts
- OSA Resources, Video Testimonials, Experience Reports, The OSA Toolkits, Connecting with the worldwide OSA-practitioner community online
After the Workshop
The OSA Workshop prepares you to IMPLEMENT OpenSpace Agility in your own organization, competently and confidently. Through the workshop, you are connected to information, knowledge, tools and people who can help you as you implement this proven template for change in your own organization.
Each student earns the OSA1 certificate of completion. This Workshop positions you to actually implement OSA in your own organization. Each student earns the OSA1 certificate of completion.
Click here to find a scheduled OSA-Workshop